The main advantage of a laptop is that it is compact and provides portability to the user. Most of the computer users use this device while they are travelling or out of the office, so it is important to know how to connect a laptop to a wireless router or modem for accessing the internet. Almost all laptops available in the market now are equipped with an inbuilt Wi-Fi router so that there is no need for purchasing an external device for connecting your laptop to the internet. Follow the Windows online support instructions given below for connecting the laptop to the internet.
- Go to the extreme left corner of the taskbar and then click on the Start button to open the Start menu.
- When the Start menu opens, click on the Control Panel option located at the right side pane.
- When the Control Panel window opens, look for the option named Network and Internet in it and then click on it.
- Now click on the option named Network and Sharing Center found in the Network and Internet window and then click on the option named Manage wireless networks found at the left panel of the window.
- Now in the new window that appears, click on the Add button and then choose the option Manually create a network profile to create a new network profile.
- The system will now ask you to enter a name for the new network connection that you are creating, enter the name in the textbox adjacent to Network Name field.
- The system will also ask you to enter a password for protecting the network from intruders, enter a password and then click on the Next button found at the left bottom corner of the dialog box.
- You have now created and saved a new wireless network in your computer.
- Now click on the option named Connect to and then select the wireless network that you have just created from the list.
- After selecting the new network, click on the Connect option. The system will now automatically log in to the network and you will be able to use the internet.