In the event that your Microsoft Windows Installer gets outdated or starts functioning incorrectly, it may so happen that the programs you download to protect or enhance the PC may not be installed or repaired the way you intended. This can lead to a lot of vulnerabilities and performance issues. If you’re facing trouble installing the downloads, a newer version of the Windows Installer may have to be installed. The following Windows Help instructions will help you update the Installer.
- Open the Web Browser and navigate to www.microsoft.com. Alternatively, type Microsoft Windows Installer in the search bar and hit the Enter button. This doesn’t necessarily ensure that you download an authentic version of the program you’re looking for.
- When you’re on the Microsoft home page, hover the cursor over Downloads & Trials to get a drop-down menu. From this, select Download Center.
- You’ll see a list with the title Product Families. From the list, select Windows.
- From the page that appears, click the arrow inside the box next to Show downloads for:, and you’ll see a drop-down menu. From the entries listed, select Microsoft Windows Installer and then select Go.
- When you get the package for Microsoft Windows Installer, select the Release Date option and you’ll be shown the most recent version of the software, which is Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable.
- Once you’re on the download page, select the Download files below link. This’ll scroll the page to a spot where you’ll see three downloads; Redist.txt (copy the file and paste it to a text file in the folder you’re installing the software to); Windows Installer 3.1 EULA.doc; and WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe. Select each of these and download them onto your PC.
- Once the downloads are done with, the installation wizard will take over and carry through with either the repair of the current version, or the automatic update to the newest version. Wait till the installation wizard starts up and then follow the instructions on the screen.
If you have problems with the download of the installation file for Microsoft Windows Installer, or with the repair or update that comes after, you can go online and request support from Windows help forums that will assist you with the process. These are the ways to update the Windows Installer on your PC.